Friday, December 28, 2007

Comments For Page 402

Well, He is a pretty cute looking elf boy. Can anything that cute be dangerous? Wait and see.

Sorry for the late update again. This new style is taking a long time to prefect. I started working on the page early because I knew it would take a while. I even had most of the art done and ready to color by the time I normally start drawing the comic. However, the more time I have, the more of a perfectionist I seem to become. I must have spend close to two hours just fixing the art and putting in backgrounds. It then took me another two hours to color the page and closer to three hours to shade everything and make a few more corrections I didn't see until I started coloring and shading the page. All in all, it took twice as long to create this page then before the style change and I had already begun spending more time on the art and backgrounds before that.

I do like this new style though, so I'll keep working on it. I want to be a better artist so the more I challenge myself, the better the art will get. It's a lot of hard work though, so expect to see many more late updates until I prefect this level of quality.

For good or ill, I've probably reached the limit of where I can improve this style. The only way I can get any better is to start using a lot of reference material and 3D models to create a more realistic style, but then the art wouldn't be uniquely mine anymore. I like my simple style. I think it fits the genre of the comic as well. If I do want to create better art, I'll do it in wallpapers and posters.

Well, Christmas is over. Time to figure out what I'm going to do to survive next year. I didn't make much money since I graduated and my savings are pretty much gone. I need to do something to make my site more popular so I can at least generate some ad revenue. I'm thinking of starting another comic to run 5-7 days a week. This would be a 3-5 panel gag strip done in a simple style that I can crank out pretty quickly. I'll try to start it next week, but I'm still not sure if my idea is funny enough. I want to make sure the concept can sustain a daily update before putting a lot of effort into it. Eventually, I'm just going to have to put something up and see what people think of it. You can over analyze something to death and still not know if it's funny or not. All you can do is put it out there and see if anyone's interested.

No comments: