Friday, December 21, 2007

Comments For Page 399

Oooh, pretty. I was reading some tutorials on how to draw digitally and I came across a site called Draw Furry. On the site are a lot of different techniques for drawing and coloring digitally. One post I found particularly interesting was this one. Kelly explains how she created the image on the front page. She says she uses a dark blue gray for her shadows, and the effect is really nice. She also filled in the whole character with shadow on a new layer. Then she used an eraser to remove the shadows from the lighter areas. Once she added some highlights, she had a very nice 3D image.

As you can see, I used the technique myself and it really wasn't any more time consuming then the old method I used for drawing shadows. The shadows are heavier then I usually use, but that's because this page's events takes place at sunrise. I won't be so shadow heavy in future pages (unless the scene once again calls for it).

What did take extra time to do was all the gradients. They really help give a more 3D look to complement the shadows, but it takes a while to line them up properly so they look right. I also placed a picture in the background of the first panel that I drew for art class (you can see it on my Deviant Art page). I did this because I wanted a nice sunrise to complement the rest of the picture.

Remember, the big Four-O-O is on Monday. It's going to show a spectacular view of the area, so don't miss it.

No comments: