Friday, November 30, 2007

Comments For Page 390

The gang has finally made it to the center of the maze, but where is the satchel? Something tells me they won't be able to just walk in and pick it up. That would be too easy.

Sorry to be late posting again. At least I got the B&W image up this time; however, the picture looks much better in color. This new technique is adding over an hour to the process even though I'm not doing too much extra. I think what's really taking the time is my fussing over the look of the drawings. I'm trying to reach a level of competence where I can draw the characters accurately each time without needing to look at previous drawings. I know most people look at model sheets but I'd rather not be a slave to a particular drawing. I want to keep my style loose while still maintain a level of accuracy.

I painted a picture using a wet ink technique yesterday and I like the results. Not many people paint with ink these days but I like the process. You can get some very nice results with little effort. You still need a strong drawing to paint over, but the end result can look photo-realistic in the hands of a skilled painter. Back when B&W photography was common, you would often see ink paintings in magazines. Now that everything is in color, you don't see them much anymore.


Woman in Ink by ~DungeonWarden on deviantART

You can learn more about this technique in this article:
ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive: Wash Painting: In Praise Of Happy Accidents

No comments: